Sunday, August 8, 2010

Change of Plans


I got all my pieces cut to start a card trick top. It was a new pattern I found in a book ordered online. The book was pretty old- it only gave templates for the pieces, so I had to figure out my sizes and quantities for using strips. Then I got to thinking. All the squares that I initially cut were the same size. But that was the problem. The extra seam in the smaller triangles made them about a quarter inch too small when I put the whole block together as seen below.
So, now I have a pile of the little triangles that I don't know what to do with. The larger triangles I am going to use together and make a pinwheel top. (I was thinking about doing one of those next anyway)

3 comments:

  1. re-size your tri/sqs to the same size as the center Xblock. then your card trick block will look right just be a bit smaller then planned, you can enlarge the top by adding a border tomake up for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl's right--just trim the block and even though it'll be a bit smaller--so what? Make the sashing and/or the borders a little wider. There's a formula for how to cut squares into half-square and quater-square triangles and get them to come out the right size. I never remember it so I have to look it up in my basic quilt book--or on-line. Love those bright colors--it's going to be a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have picked those brights for a card trick top, but I sure love how it looks! Reminder to self: step out of the box.

    ReplyDelete